A bit of news today, but first I would like to mention the Windows 7 and Vista editions. They were:
- Windows Starter
- Windows Home Basic
- Windows Home Premium
- Windows Professional (Business in Vista)
- Windows Ultimate
It’s really hard to know what to choose, isn’t it! But Microsoft announced the editions of its next OS, now definitely called Windows 8 (it was previously Windows “8” as it was a codename). The versions will be:
- Windows 8 (perfect for most users)
- Windows 8 Pro (includes all Win 8 features plus things like Bit locker)
- Windows RT (no, this isn’t Windows Re-tweet, it’s the version of Windows for ARM. It will only come on new devices)
- And there will also be Windows 8 Enterprise, only available for businesses.
This means that the consumer will just have to choose between Win 8 or Win 8 Pro when choosing a new x86/64 PC, or upgrading (well, Win Ultimate/Professional 7 users will have to go Pro). This is a lot simpler and is generally better.
By the way, for people who want pricing, that’s coming later on, says Microsoft.